Old April 14th 09, 12:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Dr J R Stockton[_25_]

Default NASA to unveil space station name on Colbert show

In sci.space.policy message n6udnbKm7umAGH7UnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink.
com, Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:33:04, "Greg D. Moore (Strider)" mooregr_dele
posted:
"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
. invalid...
In sci.space.policy message f2854c05-e2bf-4bf6-ae78-4da63a556f7f@v23g20
00pro.googlegroups.com, Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:34:37,
posted:

"The US space agency is facing a serious dilemma
after a popular television comedian, Stephen Colbert,
hijacked an online contest sponsored by NASA to
pick a name for a new module on the International
Space Station."

If his name is used, I can see it becoming a common means of referring
to some of the activities which the section is intended to support, and
then as a euphemism for more direct words associated with those
activities.

AIUI, the thing was constructed in Europe : it would have been courteous
to name it after a respected European, or to have allowed Europe to
choose. "Seagoon" would be a nice substitute for Colbert; "Benedict"
more elegant.

Eh, this is a prime example of the Golden Rule. He with the gold,
makes the rules. We bought and paid for it.

One could not, from experience, have ever expected otherwise of you.
The module may now become burdened with the name of a second-rate self-
publicist, when it could have been named after, for example, the famous
European astrodynamicist Moriarty.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms