Old November 17th 18, 02:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX gets FCC approval to deploy thousands more internet satellites

In article ,
says...

"SpaceX's plan to build a global, high-speed wireless internet network using
satellites has taken another step forward. The FCC approved the company's request
to deploy more than 7,000 very-low-Earth orbit satellites for its Starlink
network. It follows the regulator giving SpaceX the green light in March to launch
4,425 satellites.

When it's complete, Starlink will be comprised of almost 12,000 satellites that
will blanket the planet with a persistent internet connection. That should mean
people in rural areas or other locations where more traditional types of
connections are impractical can access a network with promised speeds of up to 1
Gbps."

See:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/15/...et-satellites/

That's a lot of satellites!

That's why they need to incorporate as much reuse as possible into
Falcon. Still working on fairing recovery.

Latency with this network is actually going to be pretty low. The hop
to LEO and back introduces far less latency than the hop to
geosynchronous orbit and back.

If they come up with an Internet service with 1/10th the speed and an
equal price to what I have now, I'd still switch just to stick it to
Spectrum. I'm paying close to $70 a month for 200Mbps down, which is
way faster than I need. But they don't offer a slower service for a
cheaper price.

Ditched their cable TV sometime back (their cheapest DVR was on 10 year
old "boxes" that were slow as snot). Sine then, I have been saving a
boat load of money. We've been using Sony PS Vue for streaming TV (with
cloud DVR) and while it glitches from time to time on the PS4, it's so
much cheaper I'll put up with that minor inconvenience. We can also
watch it on all of our Chromecasts with the PS Vue app on our smart
phones. Sling, YouTube TV, and others offer comparable streaming
services.

Jeff