Old February 5th 18, 08:34 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Walker[_3_]

Default Of moon and tides

On 05/02/18 14:48, N_Cook wrote:
Brian Cox did an excellent visual-aided correct explanation of why
springs occur at new and full moons, and tidal "bulge" on opposite
sides of the Earth at any one time. A few months back on BBC
something, perhaps on Utube if not replayer.

Perhaps "Forces of Nature"? See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UZxzyOVJ8Q

He has a somewhat different version from "Stargazing" at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGKgKayuC2M [1]

and I expect there are others. Neither of these really explains
spring/neap, though, AFAIR, nor why the Moon is more important
than the Sun for this purpose.

Something to do with momentum/centrepetal forces I seem to remember

On the other hand, for whether he is correct, people should
perhaps look at the first half of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwChk4S99i4

Food for thought!

[1] Just seen your other article! But I'll let this one stand anyway.

--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.