Old September 15th 04, 02:58 PM
quasarstrider

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote in message .. .
If 747s were falling out of the air as often as Elektron fails, we'd still
be taking ships across the Atlantic.

Aviation started 100 years ago and is used en mass. Space stations are not.
Pieces are handcrafted and one of a kind. Less users means less testing.
Which means more unsolved bugs.

So in other words the purpose of living in space is to find out how to live
in space? A bit circular, wouldn't you say?

Remember what Tsiolkovsky said:

"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but we cannot live forever in a cradle"

Eventually we will have to expand outwards. We should expand outwards anyway
in order to not have all our eggs in the same planetary basket. Unfortunately
space is currently inhospitable for us and until we learn how to live off the
fat of the land, it will not be exploited like it should be.

I'd love to see the actual MTBF for Elektron. The perception at least is it
isn't all that great for something that's what, 20 year old technology at
this piont?

Sure, have you got any better alternative lying around?