Old February 22nd 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default NASA - See the Incredible Shrinking Planet

Nick wrote:
"See the Incredible Shrinking Planet

Mercury makes a rare appearance in the evening sky this week."

More at http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...eb_mercury.htm

Rare? Rarer than any other planet? If they are talking frequency then
that is nonsense as Mercury will make 3 evening appearances in 2006,
this one being the best.

Ok, so it isn't visible on as many nights as other planets, but it is
still remarkably easy to spot when it has a good apparition.

Personally, I wouldn't call it rare. Rare to me is a once in a decade
event at least.