Old November 28th 18, 06:44 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)[_2_]

Default dark matter hypothesis

In article , jacobnavia
writes:

That study assumes a spherical halo around the galaxy. It measures the
events when a massive body passes between us and stars in the small and
large maghellanic clouds, two satellite galaxies of our own galaxy.

IF the halo is spherical THEN the study is right.

There is much evidence that galactic halos are spherical.

If the halo is NOT spherical but follows the plane of the milky way,
i.e. most dead stars are in the galaxy plane and WITHIN the galaxy,
that study proves nothing.

Note that there are similar studies lucking along the plane of the
galaxy towards the bulge. Same result: the bulk of the dark matter
cannot be in compact objects of around a solar mass.

If we suppose that the galaxy is old, very old,

Older than it is normally thought to be? On what grounds?

a lot of star corpses
should be around within the plane of the galaxy where they spent all
their relatively short lives...

Star corpses are baryonic, and hence ruled out due to upper limits on
the total amount of baryons.

To prove/disprove this hypothesis we should look for einstein rings
within our own galaxy.

One won't see Einstein rings, since a) they are too small and b) occur
only when there is (nearly) perfect alignment. Rather, such
microlensing surveys look for the brightening then dimming of background
objects caused by the gravitational-lensing effect when they pass near
the line of sight of a foreground object