Old February 23rd 09, 02:54 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Americans - Insane in the Membrane

Ian Parker wrote:

:On 23 Feb, 12:03, jmfbahciv jmfbahciv@aol wrote:
: Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:
:
: jmfbahciv wrote:
:
: That's really too bad. *You could have had a really interesting
: thread here yakking with Ms. Douglas.
:
: I don't think that was ever an option with Ian...he
: makes outrageous statements...a veritable tsunami
: of prose...but when it's pointed out to him that said
: statements are flawed, instead of defending or sup-
: porting his claims scientifically, he takes off on an
: obfuscating tangent and/or attacks the person
: challenging him.
:
: IMHO, the only thing interesting here is his conceit
: of himself.
:
: Some inane posts produce interesting discussions because other
: readers get curious and start posting, leaving the ahem
: think-challenged behind.
:
:
:The real interest in this, I mean to sensible poaters not the "beni Al-
:kalb", is in terms of the Singularity University. What it is doing,
:why NASA is involved, why Google is involved. Can the SU advance
:technology?
:

Well, let's look at this 'sensible' remark by Ian.

What is it doing? Nothing so far.

Why is NASA involved? It isn't, except as a landlord.

Why is Google involved? Because they've gotten way more than $250,000
in publicity out of a miniscule investment.

Can the SU advance technology? Anything is possible, but I wouldn't
hold my breath waiting for it. It seems long on touchy feely vision
and short on actually touchable output.

:
:The SU is offerering short graduate courses. No doubt these are going
:to be open for NASA/Google employees. I have one coment that anyone
:reading this thread will have.
:

No doubt they'll be open to anyone willing to pony up the
preposterously high fees required to take them.

:
:If I work for Google what I will learn at the SU will be respected and
ut into practice in some way or other. No real doubt about that.
:

LOTS of doubt about that, Ian. Just what do you think said
hypothetical Google employee would learn? Be specific.

:
:I
:though I work for NASA will a layer or "bin(t) Al-kalb" moronity make
:it a black mark against me? This to me is a real question.
:

Lots of silly things are, to you, "a real question".

:
:Another
:real question in the wider political arena is the loyalty that Obama
:can command in the military.
:

You really don't understand the US system at all, do you, Ian. The
military isn't 'loyal' to a particular person. They're loyal to the
US Constitution.

:
:You see I don't think all this fact is
:directed exclusively to me.
:

Are we all ready for the paranoid delusions now?

:
:Obama has produced a "stimulus package" and has talked at the same
:time about narrowing the budget deficit (about 10% of GDP currently)
:
:http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/92d8a656-d...nclick_check=1
:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-1629344.html
:
:Where is the money coming from? Taxes on wealthy, closing of hedge
:fund loopholes etc. etc. No my friend there is only one large untapped
:source and that is MILITARY SPENDING. He has not spelled it out in as
:many words, but that is as inevitable as night follows day.
:

What's that got to do with anything, Ian? It's wrong, but let's
disregard that for a moment. What does this little interlude have to
do with anything?

Hint: The Defense Budget is around $600 billion. You could eliminate
it entirely and not get the amount Obama says he's going to shrink the
deficit by.

:
:Will the SU produce really useful results? I am sure it will in a
:number of areas.
:

Of course you are, and for no particular reason you can name or
identify. You DO understand that SU does no research, right? You DO
understand that it doesn't teach any real courses, right?

:
:NASA must have a "schwerpunkt" a point of reference,
:a main program.
:

I'd suggest you need to not use terms like "schwerpunkt" when you do
not know what the word means.

:
:I think the "schwerpunkt" should perhaps be the mining
f asteroids.
:

I've already posted in detail (twice) why this is a bad idea.

:
:Platinum is BTW "schwer" with a density of 21.46.
:

Go look up "schwer". It has nothing to do with density. If it did,
you would be quite "schwer", since you are quite dense. But you're
not. You're merely weak and loony.

:
:Google
:by contrast has as its main interest in the application of AI for
:searching. Recently one of the Google team has married someone who
wns a biotech company. Thus although the Google interest is in
:searching they now have a much wider interest of DNA, DNA therapies
:etc.
:

I think it's time for another A.S.S. reset, Ian. You're making even
less sense than usual.

:
:I think it is important for us to take a look at where everyone is
:coming from. We can see the Google motive, the motive of the new NASA
:management. What I can't see is where the military are coming from.
:The only thing I can think of is that the gravy train both for the
:military and for manned spaceflight is about to dry up.
:

Yes, we can see the Google motive - publicity.

Yes, we can see the NASA motive - rental income.

Yes, we can see that you're blind and can't see anything real, so have
to come up with loony remarks to 'cover'.

:
:I will repeat. A manned trip to Mars WITH PRESENT DAY TECHNOLOGY is
:the craziest scheme out.
:

Ian, repetition without reason or support merely makes you look even
loonier than we all know that you are.

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine