Old February 23rd 09, 12:06 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
jmfbahciv

Default Americans - Insane in the Membrane

Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:

jmfbahciv wrote:
Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:
kT wrote:

snip

Honestly, if science wasn't fun, the tedium would drive you insane ...
Got _that_ in one. And the pay usually sucks...no one does
this to get rich...but the toys can make up for a lot of tedium
and late hours...at least they have so far.

What I don't understand is why the crackpots avoid all lab work.
The reason to take science classes is to be able to play in the
labs. The lab class times were never long enough.

Their loss, our gain. :-)

I suspect it might have something to do with ego...the few
I've run across aren't (and haven't) actually worked in science
and so they seem to think there's something demeaning about
doing benchwork...especially ghasp! in a wet lab. In their
minds, the hands-on stuff is done to order (their order) by a
technician while they sit at a deck and think Big Ideas.

But that is no fun at all. Testing your ideas and seeing if they
work, or more interestingly not work, is part of the fun.

I don't know about you, but I didn't go into this field to sit
behind a desk or rot in meetings (which is not to say I don't
have to do both on occasion)...I chose this path so I could
get paid for satisfying my own curiosity while playing with
some of the most expensive toys in town. So far, that plan
has panned out nicely. :-)

Very nice :-). I was going to grow up to be a marine biologist
but got side-traced and stumbled into the computer biz. In order
to get things fixed "right", I went to work for a computer
manufacturer. Every machine room was a lab.

/BAH