Old February 20th 09, 08:31 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Ian Parker

Default The Mosquito as space traveller

There is one highly significant point I would like to make. I have
explained how difficult it is to prove a negative conclusively.
Occam's razor tells us that we should try to ignore negatives (like
panspermia).

The only conclusive proof (as I think I have stated) is to find some
extraterrestrial life (any degree of complexity will do). Martian
microbes or European/Encycladean funeroles will do just fine. In the
case of Mars rocks have travelled from Mars to Earth and vice versa
(mostly though Mars Earth) so a common origin for Mars is quite
possible.

There is one additional point. The space buffs seem to be arguing that
the only "sane" space policy is a hugely expensive manned expedition
there. Contamination is absolutely certain. If astronauts are
frequently going though airlocks there will be life on Mars that has
originated on Earth. No "sane" person seems to have twigged this.
Contamination is unavoidable. Spacesuits are going to be brought into
the cabin which will be rich in bacteria.

Fortunately there are no plans for a manned expedition to Europa. We
seem to be safe there. We don't know for sure.

1) Is there life on Mars?

2) If "yes" to "1" did it originate on Mars or Earth.

After a manned expedition it is certain that 1 = yes. 2 = Earth. We
will never know if the space buffs get their way.

- Ian Parker