Old January 6th 09, 03:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
jonathan[_3_]

Default ...Article...Obama Moves to Counter China With Pentagon-NASA Link

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:38:25 -0500, in a place far, far away,
"jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Looks like a classic trial balloon to me, to cancel the stick and go
with EELV's to me! Contrary to what the article says, cancelling
the stick means cancelling the moon...imho.

I've said many times, it's the Chinese that's driving our space policy now
and right into the hands of the Pentagon.

Obama Moves to Counter China With Pentagon-NASA Link
Demian Mclean - Fri Jan 2, 3:58 pm ET

(Excerpts)

Obama's transition team is considering a collaboration between
the Defense Department and the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration because military rockets may be cheaper and ready
sooner than the space agency's planned launch vehicle, which isn't
slated to fly until 2015, according to people who've discussed the
idea with the Obama team.

That's an idiotic article. The reporter has no clue about either
space policy in general, or what the Obama transition team plans.
There is no "collaboration" required between the AF and NASA for them
to use EELVs, and it has nothing to do with China. NASA has been
using EELVs all along.

'

The comment about "Pentagon EELV's" was kinda odd.
I thought they were built by Boeing/Lockheed.

But this looks like something the administration might 'leak' out
and see what happens. With the key point being canceling the stick
in favor of EELV's. And the key justification for new policy being
the Chinese 'space race' amidst tight economic conditions.

So in trying to figure out what might become of NASA policy, we
should be trying to figure out what the military wants and needs.

Which I believe means putting an end to the new Ares rockets.
And replacing the shuttle with EELV's, for the short term, with
the long term program becoming the military space plane
instead of a moon shot.