Old December 17th 20, 07:43 PM posted to alt.astronomy
a425couple

Default Jupiter and Saturn will form the first ?double planet? in 800 years

On 12/16/2020 5:29 PM, Anson Carmichael wrote:
a425couple wrote:
from
https://wtop.com/science/2020/12/jup...-in-800-years/
(by going to the citation you can see pictures & video.)

Jupiter and Saturn will form the first ?double planet? in 800 years

CBS News | @CBSNews
December 3, 2020, 12:16 PM

Listen now to WTOP News WTOP.com | Alexa | Google Home | WTOP App |
103.5 FM
? Watch Video: NASA says Saturn?s rings are disappearing as they?re
pulled in by gravity

Before 2020 comes to a close, Jupiter and Saturn will be so close that
they will appear to form a ?double planet.? The great conjunction, as
the planetary alignment has come to be known, hasn?t occurred in nearly
800 years.

When their orbits align every 20 years, Jupiter and Saturn get extremely
close to one another. This occurs because Jupiter orbits the sun every
12 years, while Saturn?s orbit takes 30 years ? every couple of decades,
Saturn is lapped by Jupiter, according to NASA.

Is there any way to view a stream of this? What about advice for people
in the Burbank/Glendale area in California? I just walked outside at around
4:50pm (about early sunset) and didn't see anything except blue sky, clouds
and a small sliver of moon. I'll step out again in a few minutes, but I
thought I'd ask in case anyone has advice to give.

Go here, and see a drawing for each night!

https://earthsky.org/tonight

"Young moon, Jupiter, Saturn glorious December 15 to 18!
Posted by Bruce McClure in TONIGHT | 2 days ago
Waxing crescent moon swings by two bright planets, Jupiter and Saturn.

You might – or might not – catch the young whisker-thin moon below the
planets Jupiter and Saturn on December 15, 2020. You’ll surely catch the
moon and these glorious planets in the west after sunset on December 16,
17 and 18. Giant Jupiter and golden, ringed Saturn are now nearing their
December 21 great conjunction. They will be a dazzling and exceedingly
rare sight near the young moon in our evening sky. Don’t miss them!

On December 16, 17 and 18, think photo opportunity as the young crescent
moon moves past Jupiter and Saturn, the two largest planets in our solar
system. Jupiter is the larger and brighter of these two brilliant
beauties, outshining Saturn by 11 times. So if you see Jupiter and not
Saturn, aim binoculars at Jupiter to see both Jupiter and Saturn taking
the stage in the same binocular field of view. If you get a good photo,
submit it here to EarthSky’s Community Photos.

Read mo All you need to know about Jupiter and Saturn’s December 21
great conjunction