Old December 17th 20, 02:29 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Anson Carmichael

Default Jupiter and Saturn will form the first ?double planet? in 800 years

a425couple wrote:
from
https://wtop.com/science/2020/12/jup...-in-800-years/
(by going to the citation you can see pictures & video.)

Jupiter and Saturn will form the first ?double planet? in 800 years

CBS News | @CBSNews
December 3, 2020, 12:16 PM

Listen now to WTOP News WTOP.com | Alexa | Google Home | WTOP App |
103.5 FM
? Watch Video: NASA says Saturn?s rings are disappearing as they?re
pulled in by gravity

Before 2020 comes to a close, Jupiter and Saturn will be so close that
they will appear to form a ?double planet.? The great conjunction, as
the planetary alignment has come to be known, hasn?t occurred in nearly
800 years.

When their orbits align every 20 years, Jupiter and Saturn get extremely
close to one another. This occurs because Jupiter orbits the sun every
12 years, while Saturn?s orbit takes 30 years ? every couple of decades,
Saturn is lapped by Jupiter, according to NASA.

Is there any way to view a stream of this? What about advice for people
in the Burbank/Glendale area in California? I just walked outside at around
4:50pm (about early sunset) and didn't see anything except blue sky, clouds
and a small sliver of moon. I'll step out again in a few minutes, but I
thought I'd ask in case anyone has advice to give.