Old December 25th 18, 04:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
hleopold

Default Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

On Dec 24, 2018, Chris L Peterson wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 18:44:35 -0600,
wrote:

Fast moving indeed. As I mentioned earlier, few things move fast in the sky,
other than meteors which move very fast. But this was surprising to me even
knowing that it is fast. Thanks for that. How far from the Earth was it at
the time you took those shots?

At the imaging time of 17 Dec 2018 UT 10:00, the distance was 0.078
AU, 11.7 million km, 30.3 lunar distances. That was just about its
closest approach to Earth.

That was about what I thought from what I had previously read. Yeah, that was
moving pretty good.

--
Harry F. Leopold

The Prints of Darkness (remove gene to email)

"We used to be afraid of comets. Now it's their turn." The Register