Old December 21st 18, 04:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
hleopold

Default Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

On Dec 19, 2018, Chris L Peterson wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 02:13:09 -0600,
wrote:

That is very nice. Is it that green in reality, or as close to reality as we
normally get?

Well, "reality" is that this isn't bright enough to stimulate color
vision, so the "real" color is gray.

What it would look like if it were brighter, or our eyes more
sensitive, isn't a simple question. The gamut of the sensor in the
camera is quite different from that of our eyes. The color is coming
from several fairly narrow emission lines produced by CN and C2. Those
lines lie in violet, blue, cyan, and green parts of the spectrum.
Because they are emission lines and not a continuum, the color that
gets rendered by any camera is very sensitive to the bandpass of the
RGB filters in that camera, and their crossover points. So different
images of the comet will show a range of colors, typically from the
blue side of cyan to the green side.

Ah, yes, I understood most of that before I asked, but had not yet put it all
together. But that really is a beautiful green color. I know that even if I
get to see it my little 5” is never going to show much, if any, color. But
it really has to clear up someday, I hope.

--
Harry F. Leopold
The Prints of Darkness (remove gene to email)

Of course I am a Marxist, I love Groucho, Chico and Harpo! Zeppo is ok, I
guess.