Old December 20th 18, 12:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default earth tilt to 45 deg?

StarDust wrote in
:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 1:48:37 PM UTC-8, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:

What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg
suddenly or in a short period of time? Would we survive?

The amount of energy involved to cause that would vaporize the
planet and everything on it.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Don't see why would our planet vaporise?

Says more about you and your (lack of) understanding of fairly
basic physics.

Let's say a large asteroid would hit our Moon, knocking it out
of orbit or much farther away, so earth would wobble more?

An asteroid big enough (or fast enough) to have enough energy the
moon out of its orbit wouldn't knock the moon out of its orbit, it
would shatter it, and turn a great deal of it into plasma.

And that wouldn't be nearly enough energy to alter the Earth's tilt
that much.