Old December 9th 18, 06:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

Quadibloc:
It's true that a travelling geographer will indeed just get flown to, oh,
say,
Lima. But if his real destination is Machu Picchu, he will still have to
travel
by means that don't involve punching coordinates into a GPS to go the rest
of
the way. The same applies if his destination is Auyantepui... he can take a
commercial flight to Caracas, but that's about it.

Chris L Peterson:
Even traveling in undeveloped countries in remote regions, the most
reliable way of planning and executing travel is using a map app and a
GPS.

Bingo. Worked for me back in nineteen aught 93 when I was cruising
off-road in the Nubian desert with century-old British maps and a
military-spec (classified at the time) GPS, which was about the size of
a cigar box (if anyone remembers cigar boxes). I found a British
benchmark nearly half a meter from the coordinates shown on the map.
When I told the Brits they said "It was right when we placed it in
Anglo-Egyptian Sudan in 1900, but earthquakes have since displaced it."
Probably true.

I wonder if Quadibloc knows that Machu Picchu is 9km from a rail
station and that, if further help is needed, one can look for the lodge
and the Machu Picchu snack bar!?

As for Macizo del Auyán-tepui, nobody goes there anymore. Too crowded.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm