Old January 11th 06, 07:21 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Reprint of "lost" spaceflight classic...

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Ron Miller wrote:

I've just this week made available a reprint of a "lost" classic
spaceflight novel, "The Moon-Maker", by Arthur Train and Robert
Williams Wood.

It's plot about a nuclear-powered rocket on a mission to divert an
asteroid from an imminent collision with the earth might not sound
exactly like ground-breaking science fiction...except that this book
was written in 1916.

[...]
The two authors were Arthur Train---one of the best-selling mystery
writers of his time---and Robert Williams Wood---one of the premiere
physicists of the past century.

And legendary prankster! He orginated the massive-gyroscope-in-a-suitcase
trick, alarming bellboys everywhere. He'd conspicuously spit into a puddle
while covertly tossing a sliver of metallic sodium into it. I hadn't
realized he'd written any science fiction.

This is the first time the book has been made available in half a
century. The reprint can be found he

http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

Sounds like a cool book. Eight bucks for the paper edition. I see there's
an e-book version for $1.57.

Looking further, you seem to be bringing out a bunch of your own
out-of-print books through Lulu, a print-on-demand publisher. Calendars,
too.

For those who need to add more of Ron Miller's art and/or writings to their
libraries: http://www.lulu.com/Black-Cat-Press

--
Bill Higgins | "After the Singularity,
Fermilab | sarcasm will be reliably transmitted on Usenet."