Old June 11th 21, 03:59 AM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default a scientific "proof" of astrology

As the man said, if someone says something is IMPOSSIBLE they are most
likely wrong.

I recalled Einstein's comment in the middle of a project that was
looking into predicting earthquakes. These are the kinds of
interesting number-crunching exercises you get into in the exciting
world of Data Science.

On yet ANOTHER project I tinkered up a simple s/w that runs a series
of statistical tests to decide whether some dataset exists that "looks
like" a given target. The s/w is complex and somewhat AI (aka
"unpredictable" aka "unreliable") so I won't go into that. But the
summary is you can take a dataset like e.g. the average depth of mag
4+ earthquakes month by month since 2015 (say) and find out which
other data seems to predict that.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when 2 things showed up.

(a) cosmic rays
(b) planetary positions

It seems unambiguous that the strength of cosmic rays seems to affect
the depth of earthquakes. The strongest relationship the s/w found was
the more radiation at IRK3 (a cosmic ray telescope at Irkutsk) the
more shallow major quakes around the world. Usually the average depth
of major quakes in a month is at ~75 km. But if radiation at IRK3 is
around 6k events/min higher than the depth approximately halves. A
big effect, one would think.

Almost every cosmic ray telescope in the network I used (based in
Moscow) showed a similar effect. The more radiation the shallower the
average major quake activity in a given month.

As some of you may know cosmic rays are not usually detected directly,
but via secondary radiation that streams down from the upper atm as
"real" cosmic particles slam into gas molecules. So there may be some
quibble as to if we're really seeing something related to cosmic rays
or from some other effect in the upper atm. Either way it's "unusual".

As to the second effect -- planetary positions. Also a bit of a
surprise. The RA and Dec of outer planets seems to highly correlate
with quake depth. How can this be?

The obvious like -- it's the same thing. I.e. the position of some
planets modifies the solar radiation/megnetic/wind fields in such a
way that cosmic rays as detected on earth are affected.

So -- as I said -- you could have knocked me over with a feather when
I realized all that talk from my mother that the planets rule the fate
of men and she was a white witch and all that ... it was all true!

It seems there is then something ever so slightly to astrology. The
positions of the planets seem to affect cosmic rays and cosmic rays
seem to influence at least earthquakes. Other output from the AI also
showed planetary positions affect weather and even climate as well.

So when some scientist examines the data and claims there is nothing
to astrology they are most likely talking through their hat.

If anyone begs me for the outputs from the computer s/w I can of
course post or email them.

--
Upcoming events:
9 Jul 2021 NOAA bn Dollar Disasters Q2

[Antarctic Blast!]
That Antarctic Polar Vortex Has Turned Orange White With A Big Dumping Of
Fresh Snow
PEDESTRIAN.TV, 10 Jun 2021
The polar vortex blast that's hanging out over Australia after coming across
from Antarctica has resulted in pockets of NSW ...

Powerful storm hits Victoria in Australia knocking out power to 100s of
1000s of homes
Yahoo News UK, 10 Jun 2021 08:38Z
A powerful thunderstorm hit the Australian state of Victoria on Wed
(June 9) night downing trees and powerlines.

Antarctic Blast About To Snap Freeze Victoria
Triple M Sport, 07 Jun 2021
Time to rug up and grab yourself a mug of hot cocoa as an Antarctic blast is
expected to hit Victoria this week. The weather ...

Significant snow, rain forecast for Victoria as slow-moving cold front
blasts up from Antarctica
News.com.au, 05 Jun 2021
Victoria is set to get hit by a blast of chilly weather heading north from
Antarctica, with other states tipped to cop ...

`Significant' polar weather event set to lead to torrential rain, plummeting
temperatures and widespread snow
News.com.au, 05 Jun 2021
A "significant weather event" is stirring that could see Australia's south
and east plunged into a full-on winter maelstrom ...

Ice loss in the Antarctic causes more rainfall and in return further warming,
study finds
KXAN, 28 May 2021
Sea ice in the Antarctic is melting from global warming. As the ice sheet
melts and exposes the rocky ground below it, it is ...

No new local cases in Victoria, but mysteries remain on recent Melbourne
infections
ABC News, 10 JunJune at 10:43pm
Melbourne emerges from its fortnight-long lockdown as the state records no
new cases for the first time since its recent outbreak was detected. But
contact tracers are yet to find a transmission link between the outbreak and
four cases in a Reservoir household.

How fig tree sap put this man in hospital with horrific burns
ABC South West WA, 10 JunJune at 11:30pm
When Gerard Atthowe's legs started to itch unbearably after a day's
gardening he thought he had sunburn. He was wrong.

The COVID-19 virus can cause diabetes, new studies find
Yahoo! Voices, 10 Jun 2021 14:27Z
There is troubling news for those infected with the COVID-19 virus. New
studies have found that the virus may cause diabetes in addition to
pneumonia and ...