Old September 16th 20, 12:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Life on Venus? Astronomers See a Signal in Its Clouds

In article ,
says...

On 2020-09-15 23:16, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

Either way, it would be good science. We either find life, or learn a new
chemical process.

I prefer we keep our image of Venus the goddess of beauty instead of
finding out that the women in sulfuric acid Venus look more like the old
decrepid lady in The Shining :-)

The Titanic is under pressures greater than Venusian surface. (3.8km
would make it 380atm. Yet, there is life there which not only ate the
bodies and bones, but also is eating the iron from he wreck. )and there
are corals etc)

Normally, 100°C is enough to kill off most life on Earth. But at high
pressures, wouldn't a water-based life form be possible because even at
that temperature it wouldn't boil off?

Venus nightside surface temperature, D. Singh
https://rdcu.be/b7hrr

From above:

First global map of Venus nightside surface temperature using
Akatsuki infrared measurements reveals hot Venus surface with
an average surface temperature of about 698 K.
On a global scale, surface temperatures show a spatial
variation of about 230 K.

Converting K to more familiar units, thats an average temperature of 797
F or 425 C! And that's the *nightside* temperatures!

I doubt you're going to find life (as we know it) at temperatures
averaging nearly 800 F at night.

In terms of life "floating" in atmosphere, would it be fair to state
that anything that evolved to grow to be heavy enough to start to fall
down would not succeed (unless able to survive at sirface) and this
would be limited to very small airborne particles ?

We don't know that, do we? Look at all the buoyant life in the oceans.
It's at least conceivable that buoyant life could evolve in the
atmosphere of Venus.

Jeff