Old April 14th 11, 07:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Aurora April 12

On 4/14/2011 12:00 AM, jim wilson wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
ster.com...
On 4/13/2011 1:21 PM, jim wilson wrote:
Looking north over northwest Calgary. A 90 degree panorama.
jim

Very well done. You stitch several shots together to get the wide
field? If so the fit nicely. I'd have expected motion of the aurora to
make joints obvious but don't see any at all.

What time was this. I looked out while the moon was still up about 3
a.m. and saw nothing but bright moonlit sky so went to bed. Friend at
4 a.m. got a nice shot of it here. That would be 9 UT.

Rick

Three 10 second shots put together using Autostitch free demo (remember
Menno's huge Moon composite?). Change in the aurora was quite gradual so
it all fit nicely. Like you I peeked outside at 3 AM (MDT) before going
to bed, saw what I thought was an aurora, took a quick shot to confirm
the sky was green, then took an hour of shots from the edge of a hill.
jim

That would be 4 a.m. my time and I was in bed. It got about 30 degrees
up from reports which would have put it at the top of my tree line to
the north. Only way to see that low to the north is to drive a few
miles to get out of the forest or go out on the lake a quarter mile or
so. No way with rotten ice I'm doing that right now!

Report I heard had it moving fast. Apparently it slowed down for you.
In any case it came out very well.

I recall driving into your town on a high road from the south that had a
north view over town something like in your image. Many years ago so
memory isn't very good. Think we when dropped down to town level before
heading west into the mountains and up to Jasper with a few stops for a
high falls etc. That was in the 50's so memory isn't all that great.
Had a meeting in Jasper we were headed to. On the way back hit the town
at the stampede. Wow was that an unexpected mess. Hope they handle it
better 50 years later.

Rick