Old February 15th 05, 11:01 AM
Michael Smith

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 05:18:28 GMT
(Henry Spencer) wrote:

You can start with NERVA derivatives, and pursue
more ambitious designs in parallel with the first expeditions. The
one big hassle is low-emissions test facilities, and it's one that
should yield quickly to substantial amounts of money -- no
breakthroughs are required.

Liquid-core or nuclear-lightbulb is substantially better, and gas-core
is much better, although they are longer-term options with significant
development issues.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see anybody supporting the
development of nuclear rocket engines, given the political problems
associated with simple RTGs.

A nuclear-electric thruster system, while inefficent, can at least be
built from well understood components.

I know the USSR had spacecraft with reactors. Did the USA use them early
on as well?
--
Michael Smith
Network Applications