Old November 15th 04, 06:39 AM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:43:55 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

John Charles wrote:

Thanks to Pat for the Gemini Rogallo references. My questions is: how
did they launch the piloted Gemini-Rogallo test vehicle for its glide
landings? I think a helicopter was used to tow the boilerplate with
attached inflated Rogallo wing, but it would probably take repeated
viewing of some actual footage for me to understand how it was done.
Anyone know the answer?

We discussed this here a couple of years ago, but I haven't been able to
find the thread via Google. I think Mary Shafer knew about this.

Wow, I'm really late getting back to this.

They towed it aloft behind the Pontiac convertible they used for the
lifting bodies.

There's one bit of film of the Rogallo wing that always makes me
laugh. Milt lands rather bouncily and tips over, resting on the wing
and the rear wheel. He's stuck--he can't reach the lakebed, although
he tries. They stop the film before the ground crew comes over and
tips him back up, though.

Mary