Old December 24th 16, 10:15 AM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

Default L_Universe due to SNII Neutrinos = 322 * L_Universe?

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:52:12 PM UTC-8,
wrote:

[Moderator's note: Inappropriate comments deleted. -P.H.]

I doubt it. Core collapse SNe are exceedingly rare in early-type
galaxies ("ellipticals") because there are no stars massive enough.
Type Ia SNe however ...

This is not correct as far as I know.

Today, in the modern universe, sure this is correct. But I was probing
back to initial star formation. So, many of the stars that formed into
the earliest galaxies came from star fields / formation regions, and
within those were many SNII explosions. The reason we don't see SNII
in elliptical galaxies today is just that they are (for the most part)
no longer forming new stars

After the dark ages, during the era of initial star formation, SNII were
common and the largest stars were likely larger than today with
extremely short lifetimes, helping explain why finding type III stars is
so difficult to day. Early SNII polluted the gas of the universe with
heavy elements.

So the statement that early type galaxies don't host SNII is correct in
the modern universe but not in the early universe when the first stars
were born.

AFAIK.

rt