Old September 1st 12, 07:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Default Apollo 11 return from LRRR while still on the Moon?

In Jan Philips writes:

I was listening to the DVD of the Apollo 11 Moonwalk, with the flight
controller's loop on. A controller reports that Lick Observatory got
a laser return from the LRRR retroreflector. This is in the
transcript
(http://next.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.html , then click on "EASEP
Deployment and Closeout") at 111:32:09, but they didn't report it to
the crew. (They tell Collins about it at 112:34:29.) However, there
are comments in the transcript saying that they tried to detect the
LRRR but didn't (until August 1). I remember that live coverage at
the time said that they didget a return from the retroreflector.

So was this early report correct or in error?

Hm. *If* this summary article is correct ---

http://www.physics.ucsd.edu/~tmurphy...doc/Bender.pdf

--- then it appears that they did try bouncing the laser off the moon
possibly before Armstrong and Aldrin had lifted off, but the moon's
position in the sky was too low for solid results to be gotten for a
couple weeks.

--
http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph Nebus
Current Entry: Bad Luck on Deal Or No Deal http://wp.me/p1RYhY-iy