Old March 6th 19, 11:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Dragon2 test flight

In article ,
says...

On 2019-03-04 02:41, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Yeah, I screwed that up a while back and asserted that Dragon 1 did
the auto-docking thing.

Because your goal was to insult me after I said Dragon 2 used new
untested computers/software for the first time to get to station.
(context was Russians nervous about this single docking computer).

That's because you are simply wrong when you state that "Dragon 2 used
new untested computers/software for the first time to get to station".
That's absolute bull****.

I am absolutely certain that both SpaceX and Boeing's software has been
reviewed, tested, and thoroughly vetted by NASA. No way in hell would
NASA just say "sure, we'll try using your *untested* software to dock
with ISS, we trust you". That's not at all how NASA's current crew
rating standards work!

The bigger point here is that the US has finally proven automated
rendezvous and docking with an actual crew rated vehicle. In reality,
such a feat isn't that hard given modern computers, but it's telling
that this US first was performed by a commercial vehicle, not Orion.

Jeff