Old March 3rd 19, 09:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

Default Dragon2 test flight

On 19-03-02 11:17 , Rocket Man wrote:
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

From what I understand, Dragon 2 has a triply redundant computer system
so any computer hardware problem shouldn't be an issue. [...]

[...] Also, the
astronauts don't have any control over Crew Dragon, it's completely
autonomous.

I believe that is not correct. At the pre-launch press conference it was
evident that the Crew Dragon can be commanded from the ISS -- as long as
the commanding system works, of course. The docking plan includes a
"back away" command sent from the ISS (or so I understood) which will
make the Crew Dragon move a certain distance away, and then a new
command will let it approach again, and dock.

If something goes wrong, there's nothing they can do to prevent
a catastrophe.

The risk is that the Crew Dragon malfunctions in a way that prevents
commanding it.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd