Old February 5th 18, 07:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

Default Most observers dormant in cold weather

On Sunday, 4 February 2018 20:57:04 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
And why not? Cold weather kills about 3 million people a year world-wide, about 150,000 people alone in the U.S. and 50,000 in Britain, despite them being a 1st world countries. Flu outbreaks, all of it is worse. I've observed for 3 hours in -20 deg temps sometimes, but I can't say it's a good idea. Problem is, skies are better in winter owing to less water vapour being in the air. Nighttime lasts twice as long too. Observing from a backyard is easy, but often dark-sky sites are hampered (or closed) by snow in northern or mid-western areas.

The worst part is when the extension cable for the drives freezes into a huge coil spring across the only parking space. It stays there for over a week because it would snap like a dry twig if you tried to move it. :-)