Old December 10th 05, 11:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy

Default SpaceX Launch Update

"Ed Kyle" wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:
"Space Cadet" wrote:

Some might be wondering why we were so dumb as to run out of LOX on a
remote tropical island on the last launch attempt.
Believe me, we tried hard to avoid it, but several issues conspired to
create the problem:
* The additional month of Merlin testing resulted in
additional LOX boil-off on island.

Huh? What additional testing was needed?

SpaceX suffered a Merlin engine failure on its Texas test
stand back on September 7, 2005. The additional testing
was presumably with another engine sent to Texas. SpaceX
delayed the Kwaj launch (originally planned for late September)
while this testing was underway, which caused more of the
LOX stored at Kwaj/Omelek to boil off than would have if they
had made the original launch date.

A tangled web, space launch is.

OK, that makes sense. I parsed that (incorrectly) as 'an additional
month of testing [at the launch site]'.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.