Old March 15th 18, 10:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default BFR early next year.

In article ,
says...

On 2018-03-14 15:10, Fred J. McCall wrote:

You don't set a test and then say, "And we'll conduct it with whatever
we can get together by then."

You really don't know **** about how engineering development works, do
you?

If you really think that Musk can design the BFS with all structures
inside in a couple of years and have a test this soon, you are overly
optimistic.

You seem to be assuming that they are just starting development of BFS.
That's clearly not the case. Most design these days is done using
engineering software (like my company sells). What follows is building
subsystems to test (like the big tank test and the Raptor engines) and
then an engineering test vehicle (akin to Grasshopper or
Enterprise/Columia). SpaceX is attempting to progress to that stage of
development now. There will no doubt be issues to solve, but they've
certainly been working on this for years, at least with virtual models.

Consider also that Musk like good PR stunts. And launching something
that looks like BFS this early is also a great PR stunt against NASA's SLS.

For the Nth time, they're not going to launch "something that looks like
BFS". They're going to launch an engineering test vehicle that's as
close to "the real thing" as possible. That's how engineering works!
Well, unless you're working on Ares I-X or the first flight of SLS or
something. :-P

Note: SpaceX spent more time on Dragon 2 than on BFS, and it still isn't
flying. To think that SpaceX has already designed a 100 pax ship is
ludicrous.

Dragon 2 was constrained by NASA. There have been news reports that
commercial crew test flights might be delayed due to the need for NASA
reviews and NASA is short on people to do them in a timely manner.
That's not at all SpaceX's fault, now is it?

Jeff