Old September 10th 18, 04:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Elliptical orbit question

JF Mezei wrote on Sun, 9 Sep 2018
23:06:49 -0400:

On 2018-09-09 19:16, Alain Fournier wrote:

component of your velocity vector. But because at that point you still
have some downward speed in that vector, you keep on going down until
your upward acceleration cancels off your downward motion.

Thansk for this addition.

And, as I (poorly) stated, it's when your tangential velocity exceeds
the orbital velocity at your altitude that you start getting a net
acceleration upward, which is what turns that velocity vector.

--
"May God have mercy upon my enemies; they will need it."
-- General George S Patton, Jr.