Old August 10th 15, 11:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Default How many degrees in their orbit do the planets travel in oneEarth year?

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:26:55 PM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:28:50 -0700 (PDT), palsing

You are the one who claimed to be fluent in Latin,
and yet you don't know how to spell a word contained
in the most common Christian prayer ever... do
your own homework...

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

.... but still, you have a misspelled word, the one for 'hallowed'...

http://mymemory.translated.net/en/La.../sanctificetur

MY Latin teacher told me that Latin was *required* for a college
degree.

That depends on which college.

At the time MOST colleges required Latin.

Not very likely, unless you are older than the hills... this
article, talking about language requirements of colleges
over the years...

... states that "Greek and Latin were at the heart of the curricula
of colleges and college-preparatory schools for more than two
and a half centuries--in fact, from the founding of the Boston
Latin School in 1635 and of Harvard College the following year
until the late 1800s. But as arguments for the modern languages
and other more "practical" subjects became increasingly vocal,
Greek and Latin requirements were gradually eliminated (Reinhold).
By the 1930s and 1940s, most American colleges had dropped
the entrance requirement, and, largely as a consequence, the
study of Greek and Latin was declining in the schools; Greek
enrollments plummeted, and Latin enrollments fell from over
50% of the public secondary schools (PSS) population at the
turn of the century to only 16% in 1934 and less than 8% in 1948..."

I went to a very prestigious high school and was required to take
Latin. And yes, I am that old. I used to work on radios that had
vacuum tubes.

So did I, a very small school, so did lots of people, and I, too, was required to take Latin. the Greek was an option. My graduating class was only 50 in number, and 25 earned college scholarships, only one did not go to college at all... but he now owns several car dealerships and is stupid rich :). He owns a couple of mansions and a yacht, too... but can't play a piano to save his life...

My point was, that although I was required to take Latin in high school, the university I attended did not require it for admission, nor did any of the schools to which I applied, including any of the University of California campuses, or Stanford, or USC, and there were others that I don't recall. I just believe that your Latin teacher was wrong when he said that Latin was 'required' to go to college, that's all.