Old January 3rd 09, 05:27 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
bob haller safety advocate

Default New Columbia loss report out today

On Jan 2, 6:45�pm, John Doe wrote:
Craig Fink wrote:
Ahh, I see, your visor would have been open, a conscious logical decision.
Mine would have been closed, ever hopeful that someone with an infinite
improbability drive just might happen along...

Would middeck crewmembers have had ANY indication (verbal or otherwise)
or anomalies being worked upstairs before decompression began ?

Would they have had any sensation that the shuttle was in an unusual
attitude with nose way up ? Any unusual sensation of G force (especially
if this was their first flight) ? If not, then they would have had no
reason to drop their visor. (Middeck crew would have only seen a orange
glow in the side hatch, no horizon to give them any hint of attitude.

Another aspect not dealt with the report is that of "macho" behaviour.
This is pure specualtion on my part, but is it possible that a crew
member lowering his visor would be seen as being "chicken" and
exhibiting fear and that there would be some resistance of crew members
to lower their visors at the first sign of what they may see as trouble
but what might be perfectly normal ? (especially for first time fliers)

The report has also repeated many times that lowered visor are not "OK"
for the shuttle because it causes the release of too much O2 for cabin.
Looks to me like there are dis-incentives to lower the visor.

If one crew member was still busy getting into his seat at the time
power went out, it is likely that the crew member next to him might have
had his hands busy trying to help him, holding straps etc. And without
sufficient light, they may not have had sufficient visual cues on
decompression. (I assume there would have been instant fog in the cabin
as humidity would have condensed ?)

Obviously, there would have been immense noise of air flowing out. Is it
fair to assume that this would have been heard upstairs as well ?

Would the CDR/PLT have had visual indication of bad attitude (nose way
up) looking out the windows ? Or does the plasma glow pretty much
obliterate any view of the horizon ?

As soyuz proved a fast depressurization can occur at any time.

Future astronauts should be fully suited visors down, totally sealed
with emergency oxygen connected.

Columbia was terrible but imagine a normal flight that quickly
depressurized and killed the crew because a line blew or seal failed.

the shuttle would likely still land on auto pilot, but with no one to
push gear down a belly landing with hydrazine and other volatiles
would likely have produced a belly landing and fireball.

NASA still has a failed safety structure, gloves off, visors up should
of never been permitted