Old August 12th 14, 01:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Mars Spectacular

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:52:15 AM UTC-6, wrote:

No, it should be possible to obtain enough magnification with even a small
telescope.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mention that one should also have a sharp and clear image rather than a round red blur.

Having seen Mars through a 4-inch telescope at about 480x magnification, the maximum recommended for that aperture, I know it was nowhere near as large in apparent diameter as the full moon.

At a favorable opposition, a magnification of 1400x is required. This, at 60x per inch, requires an aperture of 23 inches.

John Savard