Old July 17th 17, 06:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
David Mitchell[_3_]

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 06:40:16 +0100, David Mitchell

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 06:36:41 +0100, David Mitchell

wrote:
In sci.physics David Mitchell wrote:
wrote:

OK, what "stuff" would people be making at home?

Jewellry, utilities, tools, gadgets.

Could you be any more vague?

Yes. Yes I could.

Things. People will make things. All of the things.

Great, yet another techno nerd weenie who spends way too much time watching
Star Trek reruns.

Bless. It's almost as though you imagine anyone give even the tinest of ****s
what you think.

It's almost as though you imagine I think puerile techno nerds represent
the average person.

I think you need to find a better insult - "techno nerd" is a bit tautologous -
and I've never made any particular claim to represent anyone.

How about pie-in-the-sky dreamer?

Like I've said before, most people can't be bothered to make things as
trivial as bread and biscuits.

Well, lots of people *do* make bread and biscuits; and a series about baking was
one of the most popular UK programs for some time.

Watching is not making.

True; but search for "The Great British Off effect".

"In the six years it has been on the air, “The Great British Bake Off” has
fundamentally changed the way the British regard baking, dessert-eating and even
their own culture of sweets. The “Bake Off Effect,” as it is known, has
manifested in a resurgence in home baking, a noticeable increase in the quality
of baked goods sold all over the country, and a growing number of people
pursuing careers as professional pastry chefs."

"The Mary Berry effect: How the Great British Bake Off revived the Women's Institute

WI membership reached 211,000 last year, its highest level since the 1970s
22,600 new members joined last year and 144 institutes were created
Organisation's chairman said Great British Bakeoff 'inspired' more women to
take up home baking"

"A recent survey from Waitrose revealed that baking is more popular than ever,
with 19 per cent of people saying they now bake at least once a week and nearly
half admitted to baking more than they did five years ago."

Irrelevant. My wife watches a lot (way too much ;-) of cooking shows
and also does a lot of baking but not once has she ever made anything
that was on the TeeVee. She does make biscuits, on special occasions,
but not bread.

Ah yes, your one anecdote easily trumps my three data points.
Seriously? That's your counter? One person?
Wait! I know two people who bake! I win!

As I keep, apparently, having to explain - I am talking about *mature*
fabrication technology - something capable of working with multiple materials,
and able to fabricate something at the push of a button more quickly than
driving to buy it, and more cheaply.

Not going to happen.

It would be good if you could back that up, rather than simply asserting it.

There is no need. There is no efficiency of scale. It's too much
work to design things and get them ready (and then the retries). Few
will put up with the bull****. No, I don't think people will download
designs for plastic jewelry and make it. Well, maybe a few 6
year-olds.

As I keep, apparently, having to explain - I am talking about *mature*
fabrication technology - something capable of working with multiple materials.

So, not just "plastic jewelry", as you must surely be able to appreciate.

We've noted that nearly all technology improves with time, as fabrication
technology has, and that prices always fall, and that as that of fabrication
technology has; and sales are increasing non-linearly, up to 400000 last year,
with projected sales of 1.2 million this year (search "3-D printer sales") -
which provides motication for their continued improvement and revenue to support it.

Irrelevant.

Entirely relevant to the point that mature technology is on the way; which was
the point you tried to refute.