Old February 4th 17, 03:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Debbie Reynolds and Space History

Stuf4 wrote:

From Fred McCall:
Stuf4 wrote:

From David Spain:
On 1/13/2017 5:06 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
Since Debbie Reynolds died a couple of weeks ago, I have not seen
anyone talking about her connection with space history.

I personally have no idea what you're talking about. Please enlighten
us.

She starred in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" on Broadway. The play was
the inspiration for Gus Grissom calling Gemini 3 Molly Brown.

I forgot about that. Pretty thin connection though. Because of what
happened to his Mercury capsule, the name "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"
didn't go over very well with the people in charge of publicity within
NASA. It just served to remind the public that his Mercury capsule was
still at the bottom of the ocean.

The thesis that Debbie Reynolds played a significant role in space
history outside of her performing in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" just
does not hold water.

FWIW the popular 60's musical is about the irascible survivor of the
Titanic's maiden voyage, the nouveau riche Ms. Molly Brown.

This forum has been amazingly consistent in a lack of open-minded thinking. Without even hearing the thesis, it is rejected outright.

This isn't a 'forum' and it doesn't take much detail to be able to
identify silly ideas.

Plate tectonics was laughed at as a silly idea.

Apples and aardvarks. BZZZttttt! Thanks for playing.

...and this is the *very thing* that killed Gus Grissom and his crew 50 years ago last week. He and his fellow astronauts got habituated to not taking action when there were clear signs that action was needed to be taken.

Debbie was a critical step in that process that led to their death.

Absolute idiocy.

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine