Old July 15th 03, 11:55 AM
Michael Barlow

Default Heavy duty tripod

I wonder if this is the same John Davis(?). The way you wrote your post
sounds like he may be more famous then I thought, I'm still far to new to
this hobby to know. Any case, I just received my mount about two or so
weeks ago and to date I have no problems, nor can I see there being any
problems in the future with constant use. The mount he made me, compared to
my EQ-2 the thing weighs a freek'n ton.

I'm in the process of constructing an observatory and just finished
pouring a 10" x 53" (plus almost or just over 5 foot below ground) concrete
pier to place the mount on to. Again; I'm still far to new to the telescope
world to suggest anything specific but I can say that Al is right, Get
something massive to support that mount. I glanced through the site link
you provided and it looks like there are many sizes to choose from. Grab
the largest one if you diside to go that rout.

--
Michael A. Barlow
Lat: 42:57:13.799N

"Tom Hole earthlink.net" tomhole@NOSPAM wrote in message
I have my first GEM being made by John Davis and I need a tripod for it.
The mount weighs 30 lbs and has a 40 lbs capacity, counterweights 20 lbs

and
the current scope for it will be a 1278. So, we have 67 lbs of stuff.

I found this:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/berger/tripods2.html

The wooden surveyors tripod.

Also checked out Al's astro and Astronomics offerings.

Also looked at Burlebach's from Germany.

I'd like to keep it under $200. The mount is a tank so I'd like a

threesome
to go under it that can keep up with the mount. I may end up putting my

dob
on it some day as well (10" XT10, 35 lbs).

So, here's what I'm thinking. Get a shorter tripod (please recommend one)
and put a mini pier on it (recommendations welcome). That will give me a
short tripod for the dob and a taller one (with the mini pier) for the
refractor. Any recommendations for min and max height?

Thanks,

Tom