Old August 11th 07, 02:26 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
DougD

Default Well, that was interesting..

In article , Skywise wrote:

Low altitude star twinkling. When so low to the horizon, the atmosphere
acts like a prism, splitting the stars colors. The usual twinkling
caused by atmospheric turbulence combines with this prism effect to
make the star change colors quite rapidly.

You are the second person I've run across to have observed the
same star doing the same thing and thinking it was a satellite.

Brian

Well, according to Starry Night, Antares is a "multiple star", which may
account for the appearance, maybe due to interference of light from mulitple
sources, etc. It's going to be clear out tonight and it should be visible, as
should STS 118 and ISS, which are about a minute apart in orbit. Lot's o'
fun stuff to be looking at, just wish I had a proper 'scope!, er.. Actually,
just a good motorized platform for all of the optical gizmo's I do have..

d.