Old March 2nd 06, 05:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default New Colonies

"Space Settlements: A Design Study"
NASA SP-413, 1977
Edited by:
- Richard D. Johnson, NASA Ames Research Center and
- Charles Holbrow, Colgate University

Basically, packages of material are accelerated from the lunar surface
via an electrical rail gun to a Langrangian point, where processing of
the material takes place. A torus habitat is with made from the
aluminumand titanium, and the slag is formed into a passive shield
wall a few feet outside the torus. A mirror like a giant CD floats
above the torus to direct sunlight onto the hub, where a ring of
mirrors redirect the light into the transparent, hubward side of the
torus. The torus is about a kilometer in diameter.

The book goes into a cylindrical design, too.

Interesting, thought-provoking read. It won't happen in my lifetime.

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:40:01 GMT, wrote:

Currently as a bit of a space fantic I have spent a great deal of time
reseaching space colony technoloies and ideas. As well the technologies to
get us there. I have some great ideas based on that reseach. If anyone is
interested please let me know.

- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA
http://flavorj.com/~skysea