Old March 18th 05, 04:44 AM
OM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:56:33 -0500, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

...Or "Dell Serf"?

Both of which are *voluntary*.

....Until 1998, when two upper-level idiots posing as managers conned a
drunken Michael Dell into completely reorganizing the R&D side of
things from Line-Of-Business orientation to Commodity-Specific
orientation, being a "Dell Serf" was not only voluntary, but an honor
because you might not be getting paid top dollar, but the side
benefits *and* getting the jump on everyone else with the latest tech
made up for it. Nowadays, thanks to all the ****ups caused by ex-IBM
managers thinking what they did that got them fired from IBM in the
first place *must* work anywhere else, most people don't renew their
contracts and move on when they're done.

....This is why I'm convinced that employers should be required by law
to provide a *fun* workplace, and if they can't provide said don't get
into business. From my own experience, a fun workplace keeps the
medical costs down because nobody's stressing out unless it's
absolutely necessary, and even then not for long.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr