Old October 16th 03, 11:41 AM
Roger Hamlett

Default Whats the difference??

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Hi, just wondering can anyone tell me whats the difference between
Frame readout and Progressive readout CCD's?

In a sense, exactly what it says. :-)
The 'progressive' CCD's, transfer one line at a time, into an output
register, one 'line' long, then shift the pixel data out of this. The
'frame' CCD's, have a seperate register for each cell, and transfer the
entire image, into these registers in one go, and then read out from this.
This increases the complexity of the chip adding the need for a complete
'frame buffer' in the chip. With 'progressive' CCD's, if an object moves
quickly, it can be distorted by the time difference in readings at different
parts of the chip.
Generally, I'd worry less about this, than other features of the cameras now
(there are excellent examples of both types on the market).

Best Wishes