Old January 16th 06, 04:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Is this like some kind of rule?

Mike cutshot wrote:

It could be worse, you could live in Seattle where it's been raining for
nearly a month!

As of today, if it rains between now and 0600 UTC
(about an hour from now) Vancouver will tie the
record, set in 1953, for the most consecutve rainy
days. 28. Ugh. Is this what I get for buying an apo
last fall?

As it was, the clouds parted for a while last night.
The full moon precluded any of the big iron, so
I bolted my new 4" Synta Mak to a camera tripod
and pointed it at a few things from the back yard.

It acquitted itself well: sharp images, good contrast.
The Trapezium was cleanly and clearly 4 stars,
no weirdness on Sirius or Procyon, the Cassini
Division, cloud bands and a couple of moons of
Saturn, and so on. Nice sharp mountains on the
limb of the moon. Definitely not a wide field scope:
the Pleiades looked better in the finder.

A fine scope generally, and an excellent scope for
what it cost. I hope to try it as a guide scope (what
I bought it for - compact and lots of focal length)
some time before summer.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal,
Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it!"
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearce