Old June 29th 03, 04:05 AM
Bill Sheppard

Default Query about Mars

Jonathan S wrote, regarding Bert:

...why not simply kill-file the guy? You
won't teach him anything.

The which Painius responded:

This surprises me, Jonathan! Bert is
sometimes inaccurate and frequently
imprecise, and yet he's rarely off-topic.
More importantly, you have no idea how
much i've learned from David and Bert
as a result of their backnforths.
Sometimes what is perceived by some
as trolling is merely a useful Devil's
Advocate thingie. I'm not saying that Bert does this on purpose, but

it seems that
sometimes this is how it turns out.

Bert has been a benefit and an asset in more ways than one. Besides
Painius' aforementioned example, I have on several occasions grabbed
some 'insights' as a direct result of interacting with Bert. On another
occasion about 3=BD years ago, Bert (then known as Herb) was posting on
the subject of gravity-inertia equivalence. Interacting with Herb, I did
a web search on that subject. Totally fortuitously, I ran onto Henry
Lindner's flowing-space model of gravity and his 'clearing house' of
other people's flowing-space models of gravity(!!). I about fell over.
Up to that moment, I had no idea that other people besides Wolter have
been intuiting the very same model.
So I owe Herb (er, Bert) an unending debt of gratitude
for steering me onto this fortuitous find. Thanks, Bert.

oc