Old May 19th 08, 09:13 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Would the ISS get more general population support if it didn't look like a giant satellite?

Dear me. And who is going to pay for such a cosmetic endeavour?

Besides the current design is more configurable and easier to maintain.

Brian

Email:

"thepursuit" wrote in message
For obvious reasons I can understand most of the ISS countries aren't too
concerned with aesthetics, but wouldn't it help the public image and
legitimacy of it among non-space people if it didn't look like a bunch of
pipes and solar panels?

If it was a solid structure with the modules internal, and a big readable
(at least from space) "International Space Station" on it, people would be
more inclined to believe we're much more into space than it may seem
(since it's mostly research stations for now, regular people won't give a
****).

Cover it with a giant shell which is also covered in solar panels, and
we'd have an awesome space station going.