Old February 16th 04, 08:09 PM
Al

Default Best travel scope (airline carry-on)

I also live in the Northeast and I'm very much in touch with the pain of
finding dark skies in this area. However, I submit that the worse place in
the country is not Long Island where you live, but New Jersey where I
live.:-)

In my opinion, the best travel scope ever made is the Pronto. Small, light
weight, great optics and can be mated to a light weight photography type
tripod/pan head. Can be carried on board and stored under the seat or in
the overhead compartment. Also, when you get flushed, you can buy an
H-alpha filter, which threads directly to the Pronto, and view the sun
before it gets dark. I carried this scope with me everyplace I went...but
that was before 9/11.

Al

"Tim Powers" wrote in message
I hope I'm not being too forward here, I know it's been a while since I've
participated in the group.

A possible change in jobs has got me thinking I may be doing quite a bit

of
travel for business in the coming years. One upshot is the chance to

travel
to dark-skies, (NM,KS,WY...)something that is quite difficult here in the
Northeast. In fact, Long Island (where I live) could possibly be the worst
place in the country for accessing dark skies. Among my greatest nights of
observing came while on vacation (Steamboat CO), and without a telescope!
Darks skies and dark adapted eyes showed me more than my C8 from Long
Island!

What is your opinion on an airline carry-on scope? I guess we could go

with
2 categories.

Under $1000 (where I'll be shopping)

and

Over $1000 (where undoubtedly most will say are the best performers)

all-types of scopes considered, optical performance should be the most
heavily weighted criteria.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL, ITS A POLL, please refrain from rehashing old

arguments
about which scope type is inherently superior. Please, just give your
endorsement without detracting from others. Practical experience is
certainly the best support you can give.

Thanks,
Tim