Old February 16th 04, 07:14 PM
Tim Powers

Default Poll: Best travel scope (airline carry-on)

I hope I'm not being too forward here, I know it's been a while since I've
participated in the group.

A possible change in jobs has got me thinking I may be doing quite a bit of
travel for business in the coming years. One upshot is the chance to travel
to dark-skies, (NM,KS,WY...)something that is quite difficult here in the
Northeast. In fact, Long Island (where I live) could possibly be the worst
place in the country for accessing dark skies. Among my greatest nights of
observing came while on vacation (Steamboat CO), and without a telescope!
Darks skies and dark adapted eyes showed me more than my C8 from Long
Island!

What is your opinion on an airline carry-on scope? I guess we could go with
2 categories.

Under $1000 (where I'll be shopping)

and

Over $1000 (where undoubtedly most will say are the best performers)

all-types of scopes considered, optical performance should be the most
heavily weighted criteria.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL, ITS A POLL, please refrain from rehashing old arguments
about which scope type is inherently superior. Please, just give your
endorsement without detracting from others. Practical experience is
certainly the best support you can give.

Thanks,
Tim