Old October 5th 18, 06:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 10:55:27 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:
These are by now quite old ideas. Yes, SF ages too as time

passes.

Some of it ages quite well. When Kubrick flat imaging tablet

devices for
watching TV in 2001 the idea was ridiculous but today they are
everywhere likewise for "communicators" in Star Trek.

One thing that Kubrick missed in his vision were small decentralized
computers distributed more or less everywhere. In Kubricks vision
there was one single super-powerful computer - HAL. Much like the big
iron computers that we had in the 1960's.

I believe in ET.* Why wouldn't you?

I consider it possible that they exist.
But I'm not expecting to see LGMs shopping in Tesco's any time soon.

Even if ET's existed, expecting to see them frequently visit the
Earth is like expecting to see celebrities like the Pope, Madonna,
and others, frequently visiting the block where you happen to live.

I don't think you can alter the world view of a true believer they

have
proved willing to be burnt at the stake for their beliefs in the

past.
(often by a rival group of believers in the same "One True God")

Now Mr Galileo do you believe that the Sun goes around the Earth or
would you like more house arrest and a molten lead ear wash?

An excellent summary! :-)