Old February 3rd 06, 06:23 AM posted to alt.astronomy

Default Solar flares

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:13:37 -0500, "Robert Finch"
wrote:

I was just wondering, solar flares occur with an eleven year cycle,
so that means we see solar flares from Earth every 11 years.

Nope, but most flares are associated with sunspot activity, and there
is a strong correlation between sunspot activity and flares.

Do solar flares occur all over the sun every eleven years ? Or is there an
object with an eleven year orbit in orbit about the sun that draws flares
off the sun ?

Nope. It's thought that flares and CME's are related to complex
magnetic fields, and there is no evidence whatsoever that Jupiter or
Saturn (or any other planet for that matter) are responsible for Solar
flares.

And we just see the flares every eleven years because the
Earth is between the object and the sun.

Nope.

start he

http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/

or he

http://science.nasa.gov/ssl/pad/solar/flares.htm

or he

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/sun/flares.html

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."