Old July 9th 10, 07:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default National Review blows its cork over NASA's Bolden

On 7/9/2010 4:45 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

If the Salmonella vaccine pans out, it might already have.
Salmonellosis kills an estimated 3 million people a year, mostly in
the third world (142,000 were sickened in the US last year and 30
died).

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/0...a-vaccine.html

We have ten years or more of Space Station research ahead of us.
Reports of ISS's failure to earn its keep are greatly exaggerated.

Interesting had not heard about this. Thanks for sharing. I was aware
there was a lot of research being done, I just had not been paying close
attention to exactly what though.

Although human testing of that vaccine was possibly going to start in
2010 according to the press releases, there has been no new info on it
since last September.
The company that did this research - Astrogenetix - now says they are
working on a MRSA vaccine*, and you don't hear about the Salmonella cure
anymo
http://www.astrogenetix.com/news-and-events
Read between the lines about what they are about:
http://www.astrogenetix.com/about-us
....and what they are about is getting government funding to do
experiments in space that make it look like worthwhile medical research
is being done by NASA.
They got started as a subsidiary of Astrotech Corporation, itself the
new name for Spacehab Inc.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrotech_Corporation
(That in turn being a new name for Johnson Engineering.)
Nice work if you can get it, but I wouldn't expect to see much coming
out of the company for all the taxpayer dollars that go into it.
In interesting corporate news, one of their big boys just jumped ship on
them:
http://www.marke****ch.com/story/gen...ors-2010-06-17

* I expect the Common Cold vaccine to follow next year, followed by the
vaccine for the Boogie-Woogie Flu in 2012, and the vaccine against death
in 2013. :-D

Pat