Old February 1st 07, 07:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Hardocks

Default When you turn off the stars . . .

"Larry G." wrote:

The other night, I fired up an old copy of Distant Suns 5.1.
I was playing around with the settings, when I started noticing
a few interesting phenomena, when I turned off most of the stars,
and looked at the whole hemisphere at a time.

1. Most of the comets (of the six or eight default loaded)
seem to orbit within 10-20 degrees of the Milky Way.

2. The galaxies of Virgo, Coma B. and Canes V. seemed to
form a separate disc, similar to our Milky Way.

3. And there were vast streches of sky in which there were
relatively few cataloged galaxies. This echoes the findings
of a cosmological "foam" structure to the distribution of matter
on a very large scale.

cheers,
Larry G.

--
Your mind is a terrible thing to waste - TURN OFF YOUR TV!

I wouldnt jump to conlcusions based on one glimpse of the
whisker on the beast.