Old November 14th 18, 10:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default A better view of direct/retrogrades for Mercury/Venus

It is perhaps best to get these objections over with in this thread.

http://web.stanford.edu/~jsabol/cert...eo-Assayer.pdf

There is a pattern when something new and innovative appears ranging from silence to noise but this is common among those who operate with icons and celebrity.

I can understand the irritation of Galileo in an era where academic politics and social politics were more or less the same so the jockeying to protect redundant concepts or to exploit new observations often swamp the individual presenting observations for scrutiny. The Pope in the era of Galileo initially seemed open to striking a balance between old and new but ultimately opted for old familiar ways that destroyed Christian involvement in astronomy up to this day.

There is so much celebrity and icons around these days that it is quite a wonderful experience to be left alone and develop insights that I enjoy on my walks and in quieter moments. It would be these people that would find resonance with the astronomical interpretations as a satisfying experience so although the same set of characters exist as in the time Galileo wrote that letter, the outcome will be the same as productive views make it into circulation.

Nobody can accomplish insightful work if they propose themselves before what they are promoting as ideas. All people can do is share in the enjoyment where pieces of a puzzle fit together.